19 July 2011

no country for old men

Mixed in with my plethora of various fiction, I try to read 'classic' books as well. This time I chose 'No Country For Old Men', by Cormac McCarthy, mainly because I've seen the movie, which was quite good, if disturbing. While reading the book, I saw Josh Brolin as Moss, Tommy Lee Jones as Sheriff Bell, whose character in the book was more prominent, and Javier Bardem as Churagh, the baddest bad ass you've ever encountered.  I think the only reason I made it through the book was because I'd seen the movie. I mean, the book was not that easy to read. The author is one of those types who disdains quotation marks, so you really have to pay attention to who's speaking. Many times I had to reread in order to keep the speaker straight. that being said, I did enjoy the book very much despite the differences from the movie. Lame, I know, because I'm one of those people who generally disdain the movie made from the book because the book is almost always better, but this one is an exception. I'd say that the book and movie are equal, and that's quite a feat in this era of movie making.

No comments: