18 February 2007

A Writer's Soundtrack

If your writing life were a soundtrack, what would it be? What songs or albums would be on the list, and why?


My list changes all the time. And now, in no particular order....

1. See You--Depeche Mode. Meaningful lyrics that inspired a short story and ultimately the characters of Cassie and Joel.

2. Long Gone Long--Rainmakers. Song about a small town and goings on therein. 'Older than I used to be/younger than I'm gonna be/fewer things puzzle me than when I was young'. Oh, yeah.

3. Adagio--Barber. Moving piece of music. Soundtrack to Platoon. Everytime I hear it I see Sgt. Elias running from the Viet Cong only to be shot.

4. Zauberschloss--In Strict Confidence. Song by a German band sung in German. Zauberschloss translates by google into 'charm closed' but actually means 'magic castle'. I like the beat and the way Dennis Ostermann growls the lyrics. That he's hot really has nothing to do with the fact that I like this band. Really.

5. Lithium--Evanescence. Love this gal's voice. It's so full of angst and emotion and it's beautiful.

6. Breathe--Erasure. Beautiful lyrics, and Andy Bell's voice is fantastic.

7. Once in a Lifetime--Wolfsheim. This song surprised me when I read the lyrics. It's a rant against God, apparently, in which the lyricist states: 'You took my wife, my unborn son/torn into the deep of the ocean' among other emotional statements. The song ends with : 'And I'm not scared of you.' Powerful stuff.

8. Cocaine Blues--Johnny Cash. I enjoy songs that tell a story, and this is a good one!

9. World in My Eyes--Depeche Mode. Sexy and full of innuendo. It just oozes sex.

10. Deeper Than the Usual Feeling--Beborn Beton. Another German band. This song laments the loss of a love who didn't share the deep feelings as the lyricist and I believe she kills herself.

This list is different than one I wrote a month ago. I think next I will write a bibliography.

No comments: